Featured book on Jail

Vartika Nanda Travelogue: Bhopal to Bhimbetka: 20 April, 2024

Jun 6, 2020

LOCKDOWN DIARIES

The students of the Department of Journalism, Lady Shri Ram College for Women, participated in the collective exercise of writing an account on the theme - ‘Utilising my Time to the Fullest During the Lockdown’. This activity strived to increase the creative engagement of students by creating a shared space where they could digitally exchange their experiences. These stories are compiled by Himani Jindal and Anushree Mukherjee.


Mr Quarantine arrived in our lives without any invitation and is teaching us important lessons. I initially complained about being within the confines of my home… but eventually I found solutions for the problems I faced. I completed two virtual internships - in content writing and human resources management - which improved my time management skills and boosted my self-confidence. I have enhanced my skill as a researcher with the assignments given by my professor on various topics including the role of a sub-editor and cartoons in print media.
Somewhere in this journey, I learnt to balance procrastination and stress. The best part of being at home is that I got a lot of quality time to spend with my family. All I can recapitulate is: “Life is balancing between what you hate in your life and what you can’t live without”.

Surbhi Gupta
Department of Journalism
Batch of 2022

I cannot recall the last time I had this much free time without homework. I began keeping a log of the books I read recreationally on Goodreads, which is something I used to do in school but could not keep up with at university.
The most recent one I read was 'Normal People’ by Sally Rooney - set in Ireland, it follows two people who come from very different socio-economic backgrounds and form a friendship as they enter University and their worlds change with time. Additionally, I started learning Norwegian on Duo-lingo, which is an app that combines language-learning with fun quizzes. As for what else I want to do - I might try my hand at coding, it has never worked out well for me but I'm curious to begin again.

Mamta Kumari (CIC)

During this lockdown period, I’ve tried to keep myself busy and explore different things. I took up the activities that I left some time back to kill boredom and simultaneously be productive.
I took part in some online conferences and debate competitions. I wrote an article for a Journal and some pieces for the college societies’ magazines. I completed an online workshop on Journalism.
I’ve started exercising and meditating daily. I love watching TED talk videos which help me in keeping my optimism alive. I also try cooking on certain days as I enjoy doing so.

Sonal Agarwal
Department of Journalism
Batch of 2022

The first of its kind, the COVID-19 global pandemic has brought forth the wrath of the coronavirus and the consequences of its widespread. The global village has been locked down within its own overseas doorways.
Yet this lockdown has put forward the opportunity for all to break-free the monotonous lives. With the lockdown being observed all over the world, I have involved myself in some household chores and experimenting with different things. I have been in constant search for knowledge and learning. Yet, I never fail to play with my dogs. As I have been blessed with a privileged socio-economic space, I have tried my best to use it by constantly looking out for my fellow citizens who are deprived of basic essentials. Lastly, I have been observing the healing of our environment. After all, it is the goodness that will pull us out of the hardships.

Soumyaa Rawat
920
Department of Journalism
2022


I took this period of lockdown as an opportunity instead of taking it as a challenge. During these days, I got a chance to closely observe and enjoy nature. I started learning how to bake. I worked over my reading and writing skills. I joined hands with an NGO to help those who were in need and have been hit hardest due to the sudden outbreak of COVID-19. A small part of me is thankful for the time I got to spend with my family. Sitting in the living room watching epic stories - Ramayana and Mahabharata, and listening to my parent’s childhood stories have become special memories. These were some beautiful moments that I managed to experience amidst the ongoing miserable situation of our world...

Somya Jain
298
Department of Journalism
Batch of 2022

The lockdown has been a mixed experience for me. I started to do everything I couldn’t find time for before. The most productive part of my day is working out and cooking my post workout meal. Earlier, I didn’t even enter the kitchen but now I can cook for myself. I spent my quarantine days rewatching all my favourite movies and focusing on personal growth. On days when I am anxious because of the whole situation, I calm myself by practicing meditation. Lockdown has taught me that our life, mind, heart and soul is like water. When it’s turbulent, it’s difficult to see. When it’s calm everything becomes clear.
-Harshita Solanki
Department of Journalism
Batch of 2022

Being in Delhi as an outstation student, I really missed all those days where I've been with my family. So this lockdown brought us together. Being in my home and spending whole day with them never bored me. And the best part is that I learned cooking during this period. Also I've started doing yoga regularly. I read four novels which earlier took me even months to read a single novel. With many people struggling across the world, I'm grateful for the life I have and that it helped me better myself.
 Parvathy R
Department of Journalism
Batch of 2022


 The lockdown made me realise the interconnectedness of everything around me and allowed me to turn the searchlight inwards.
 I interned with the a Magazine based in New York, United States in the month of April. From the very first day of my internship, I learnt several work values, especially discipline, and worked on bettering my writing skills each day.
Due to my constant pursuit of growth, they have designated me the position of ‘Opinion Columnist.’
 I also started a blogging and vlogging website of my own and YouTube Channel alongside, where I aim to get on-board people who are an inspiration to the youth of the country for an interview, the first of which is going to happen with transgender rights activist Laxmi Narayan Tripathi.
 Palomi Gupta
Department of Journalism, LSR
Batch of 2022

During the lockdown I having been spending my time doing a lot of things and activities I used to enjoy immensely in the past. As a child I was extremely fond of gardening so I have been spending a lot of time in my garden and I have turned into an avid Gardener. I have been looking after the plants and trees in my garden and have also planted a variety of new plants which includes difficult kinds of flowers and vegetables. Besides gardening I have also been keeping myself very busy by reading a lot of E-books and even writing. I have been taking online workshops and classes on the topics and areas of interest.During this lockdown I have made a genuine effort to reconnect with all my friends from school with whom I had not been in touch. Altogether, I have been trying to learn new things and skills during this lockdown but I have also been doing the little things that bring joy and happiness to me like playing online games.
                     
- Shivangi Chopra
 Department of Journalism
  Batch 2022


Lockdown of a whole country can be especially be stressing, and it can affect our mental, physical and emotional health. I consider myself a sedentary person, but after two weeks of being locked in my home I found myself having several nervous breakdowns.
In order to keep myself occupied, I enlisted myself to various things. I stated taking online courses on photography and various free Harvard University courses. I took some time and started baking and helping my mother in maintaining our rooftop garden. I have ample time researching for internships and Graduate scholarships.
I am thankful for a home, for my friends and my parents at this testing time and I hope things get back to normal as soon as possible.

Agrima Gulati
Journalism department
Batch of 2022


8 comments:

Suraj Pillai said...

Tinka Tinka has been constantly working towards prison reforms and in since last few years they have brought a lot of stories to the common people. The reforms done by Tinka Tinka are something very less people know about and even very few people have attempted it. The stories about prison inmates from Tinka Tinka book series Tinka Tinka Tihar, Tinka Tinka Dasna and Tinka Tinka Madhya Pradesh has its own feel. #tinkatinka #vartikananda #jail

Malak Tariq said...

All the five accounts above are so refreshing to read. They depict how all the five classmates have undergone this lockdown period with an attitude to make something out of it. Either in terms of playing with pets for tranquility or going for internships for all round development. These accounts convey that it is as important to slow down and think of things that bring happiness , as working is ! While we grapple in a year of crisis and survival right now is in itself a sufficient boon ، peace or moments of break from being completely dejected need to be given the love they deserve and it can be in any form as beautifully mentioned above ، either while laying on a sofa and listening to our parents when they go all nostalgic or by working for a cause that helps people ! One thing shall always stand true ، that growth is different for all and if we still strive in these testing times to grow a bit in any way ، then we have definitely come to our vulnerable yet strongly beautiful phase۔ Much strength and peace to my classmates :)

Arya Krishnan said...

Hi,
It's a very good work. Happy to see that most of my friends are really productive and engaged during lockdown...
Arya Krishnan
Department of Journalism,2022

Anonymous said...

Ah it is so nice to see that my classmates have also been using their time so effectively - I'm starting to think I've been lazy in comparison to you all! I might need to step up my work just a notch!

- Mamta Kumari

Unknown said...

It was so wonderful and refreshing to read about such great experiences, this encouraged me towards the postive outlook of the Covid-19 pandemic and brought a smile while reading this, hope with this optimistic we will be able to overcome any difficulty.
Very encouraging and great work guys.
-Riya Verma

Unknown said...

It was so wonderful and refreshing to read about such great experiences, this encouraged me towards the postive outlook of the Covid-19 pandemic and brought a smile while reading this, hope with this optimistic approach we will be able to overcome any difficulty.
Very encouraging and great work guys.
-Riya Verma

Riddhi Suri said...

It is so nice to see people utilising time in lockdown. So wonderful to read about experiences . This blog encourages me and will encourage more people surely . Refreshing to hear our fellow students talk about their experiences in the midst of a pandemic.

Arthata A. Harvande said...

In this situation when we all are trapped inside our houses like a jail thinking about inmates who are trapped inside the real jail without their families must have been going through depression. SSR was a calm, humble, and successful actor still he experienced pain that he couldn't share. By helping these inmates Vartika Nanda is doing great work.